Check Out This Scrumptious & Healthy Gumbo
Dinner last night was SO GOOOOOD!!! Gumbo is the perfect meal to serve to warm you up this cold holiday season! I “healthified” one of my New Orleans favorites—Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo! I got all the brown, buttery goodness of a traditional roux by caramelizing my veggies and tomato in ghee, then adding some espresso powder (shhhh, it’s my little secret!) to capture the toasty notes of darkened flour. You get classic gumbo taste without all the calories!
Healthy Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
2 Tbsp. ghee (organic grass-fed, if possible)
1 lb. raw turkey sausage links
1 cup chopped celery (approx. 2 1/2 medium stalks)
2 cups chopped onion (approx. 2 2/3 medium)
1 cup chopped green bell pepper (approx. 1 1/3 medium)
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups tomato puree
8 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth + 1 packet unflavored gelatin
2 cups sliced, frozen okra
2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning/rub
3 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1/4 cup cornstarch + 1/4 cup water (combine to make a slurry)
1lb. raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
1. Heat ghee in large soup pot over med-high heat, until fragrant.
2. Add sausages; sear for approx. 5 minutes, turning frequently, until deep brown on all sides. Place on paper towel-lined plate. Cool, slice into 1/4-inch rounds. Set aside.
3. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to same soup pot; cook over med-high heat, stirring frequently, for 8-10 min, or until veggies are very soft and brown.
4. Add tomato puree; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 min, or until it becomes very thick and darkens. (Don't worry if it sticks and brown on the bottom of the pan, just don't let it turn black.)
5. Add broth mixture, okra, sliced sausage, Cajun rub, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, sea salt, and espresso powder. Bring to boil. Reduce to low heat; gently boil, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaves. Add cornstarch slurry and shrimp. Bring back to boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
NOTE: Enjoy gumbo served over brown rice!
Any other #gumbo fans out there?!